- Primary productions are agricultural, such as rice, lychee, banana, and sugar cane. Added to this, horticulture in Xiaolan Town is famous throughout southern China for its blooming chrysanthemum.
Zhongshan, together with Dongguan, Nanhai and Shunde, are dubbed as Four Little Tigers in Guangdong. The proximity of Zhongshan to Hong Kong and Macauis an advantage to its economic development, especially in manufacturing.
In the 1980s, Zhongshan had a relatively developed state-owned enterprise (SOE) sector that was used to stimulate Township and Village Enterprises (TVE) development in the countryside. Currently, the SOE sector is much weaker, and the economy is dominated by foreign investment and TVEs, and also by various specialized manufacturing towns. Each of these towns specializes in making a particular product. Most of the towns are so successful that they earn a reputation as leading manufacturers in their own pillar industries. Indeed, “One Industry in One Town” has become a unique economic feature in Zhongshan.
Pillar industries in various specialized manufacturing towns in Zhongshan include:
- Zhongshan is famous for its fake antique styles of furniture. Most of the furniture is made using Rosewood, imported from various parts of the world.
- Dachong Town for mahogany furniture,
- Dongfeng Town for electric household appliances,
- Guzhen Town which is also called as lighting capital of the world, for lighting fixtures,
- Huangpu Town for food processing,
- Shaxi Town for casual wear manufacturing,
- Xiaolan Town for locks and hardware, as well as for electronic acoustics products
The government of Zhongshan encourages “Research and Design” in the region by setting up national level research centers and specialized industrial regions. For example, the Zhongshan National Torch High-Tech Industrial Development Zone (中山国家级火炬高技术产业开发区) was established in 1990 in the east of the city by the Ministry of Science and Technology and the governments of Guangdong province and Zhongshan. Zhongshan Port, which ranks among the top 10 ports nationwide in terms of container-handling capacity, is in the zone.Since 2001, it has included the Zhongshan Electronic Base of China (中国电子中山基地) for its reputation in the electronic acoustics industry.
SOURCE – INTERNET & WIKIPEDIA